Below are the error messages that can be encountered while Trying to
process a transaction or opening QuickBooks Point Of sale
● Unexpected error happened, please restart Point of Sale.
Exception from HRESULT: 0x88980406
● Unexpected error happened. The error is: Value cannot be null.
● Unable to open the program through the Point of Sale icon
● Error: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation
● Configuration system failed to initialize
● Error 100 database server not found "08w01"
● Error: 176120 invalid license key status, key denied
● Error: QBPOSShell has stopped working
These errors are usually experienced due to these reasons-
● The computer being used does not meet the minimum
requirements of software.
● QuickBooks POS Database Manager Not running.
● Microsoft NET framework not installed properly or being
Before moving forward to troubleshooting process do make sure-
● Your computer has required system requirements to run
● Start QuickBooks Database Manager.
● Restarting computer before trying troubleshoot.
Solution 1- Do make sure that all updates are installed in Point Of
Note- before running update or process to resolve the issue it may be
needed to rename Intuit Entitlement Client Folder.
● Open product update page in QuickBooks.
● Make sure Point Of Sale is the selected product.
● Simply follow the instructions to manually install the update.
● Restart your computer when update is completed.
Solution 2- Try to use a new user for windows
● Open windows search and enter User Accounts. Press enter to
● Choose Manage user accounts and then proceed by clicking on
Manage another account.
● Now just click on Create a new account. Name the account as
“test” and choose Administrator as user type.
● Now simply logout of your windows and login with newly created
test account. Try to use Point Of Sale.
Solution 3- Restarting QBPOSShell & troubleshoot compatibility
● Close QuickBooks POS and hold down CTRL+ALT+Delete key.
● If required then select “Start Task Manager”.
● Click on the tab for processes and then on Image Name column
to sort it alphabetically.
● Apply right click on “QBPOSShell.exe” and then click on End Process.